Around Picture Rocks

Available formats:

paperback epub
Log in to add

Around Picture Rocks

S
Sherry A. Gardner

When the Sprout and Burrows families purchased what became Picture Rocks for $2,500 in October 1848, the land was considered worthless. The town consisted of a single house and a sawmill that sat at the bend of Muncy Creek. The mill produced window sashes and doors that were in demand for new homes being built in the West Branch Valley. In 1856, S. H. Burrows began manufacturing furniture. Then in the early 1850s, a chapel was built in eight days so that the Baptist community had a place to worship. Around Picture Rocks documents the evolution of this section of Lycoming County. Among the many original structures featured in the book is part of the old Handle and Excelsior building that still greets visitors as they cross the Muncy Creek.

Publication

2006

Pages

128

Format

Paperback

Publisher

Arcadia Publishing

Collection

Images of America

Reviews (0)

There are no reviews for this book yet.

0 reading 0 read 0 want to read 0 dropped 0 favorites