Concord-Farragut

Available formats:

Log in to add

Concord-Farragut

D
Doris Woods Owens

In 1787, before Concord or Farragut existed, the area was known as Campbell�s Station. The settlement grew rapidly, and by 1840, it was a thriving, self-sufficient community with many businesses. In the mid-1850s, the town of Concord was established two miles south of Campbell�s Station along the newly installed railroad lines, drawing many businesses from Campbell�s Station. Concord prospered, but Campbell�s Station remained peaceful farmland. In 1902, Farragut High School was built in Campbell�s Station. The school and the post office were the glue that held the west Knox County communities together. By 1944, nearly one-third of Concord was displaced by the impoundment of Fort Loudoun Lake. Soon Campbell�s Station�s sprawling farms became subdivisions, and Concord�s businesses, churches, and even the post office were forced to relocate to Campbell�s Station, leaving Concord a sleepy village. In 1980, a large area around the school but excluding Concord was incorporated as the town of Farragut.

Publication

2009

Pages

128

Format

Epub

Publisher

Arcadia Publishing

Excerpt

EPUB

Collection

Images of America

Reviews (0)

There are no reviews for this book yet.

0 reading 0 read 0 want to read 0 dropped 0 favorites